About Me

My photo
This is me, my head and my life. Deal with it.

Friday, August 13, 2010

UCLA Parking, an ode and a diatribe, both


Well folks, today was my last day of being gainfully employed by UCLA parking. I've worked there for one year and five months. It's been one year and five months of the best job and the worst job I've ever had. So lets start with the bad and then end with the good. Because that way you are left with a good flavor, like mint toothpaste or raspberries, and not a bad taste like that icky taste you get after you take a nap.The bad part of parking is mostly the actual job itself. Waking up at 5 am, so as to catch the bus and get to work by 6:30, not so fun. I mean I got up at 6 all through high school, but there is a big difference between five and six. 60 big differences in fact. All I have to say is that I should not be getting up at the same time my roommates are going to bed. It's sick and wrong. And the people you have to help. This job has basically ruined all hope I had for the collective intelligence and courtesy of the human race. Put simply people are rude, stupid, loud, grumpy, condesending, and all to eager to yell at the little guy. Examples, people yelling at me about the "ridiculously high price" of parking. I know that parking costs a lot. But this is UCLA and we have no money. Also you rolling your eyes, sighing heavily and making a snarky comment isn't going to make me suddenly give you free parking, or magically lower the cost of parking. It's not like complaining is the key to get me to suddenly say, "you know what, you're right, I'm going to change that price right now." I work in a 3 by 8 kiosk, and wear a blue polo(one of which I stole) and a pouch (also stollen.) Do you really think I can do ANYTHING about the price of parking, like at? Cuz I'm gonna be straight with you, I can't.
People don't listen. They don't. I give good directions. I do. For example: toget to lot 6 you're going to go straight through the light in front of us into the bus turn around. Follow the curve around until you hit the stop sign and then lot six will be straight in front of you." That was pretty clear right? So imagine my frustration when people say "so I turn left at the right?" Really, REALLY? I didn't say left once. I said straight twice, but never once did I say left. So you know what? You go ahead and turn left. I'll see you again in ten minutes when you're late and mad and still an idiot.
I could go on, but I won't because then I would seem bitter. Which I guess I am, but seeming bitter is bad, so I'll go on being bitter on the inside and pretending to be content and full of hope for humanity on the outside.
The good thing about parking was the people. Not the people I help. Those people are insufferable jerks who don't think I know what I'm doing, and try and tell me what to do. Do you really think that you are the only person going to a campus tour I've ever helped sir? I mean really? The group campus tour that runs twice a day 5 days a week? Yeah, I know where your going, but thanks for the directions. Nope not those morons. I'm talking about the people I work with. I guess that working in an itty bitty kiosk for 8 hours any given day really bonds you like nothing else can. I have laughed so much with the people I work with. I've met some really great people who I really thinkand hope I will know for the rest of my life. I worked with a group of funny, irreverent, inappropriate, kind, and awesome people. This is incredibly mushy, but just getting to know and party with those fools everyday turned working a crap job into working a great job.
K6 for life! TSAAAAAAAAA!

No comments:

Post a Comment