About Me

My photo
This is me, my head and my life. Deal with it.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

LOTR 2, in which there are towers, two of them

Part 2 of LOTRTHON 2010 today. It was the "Two Towers" in which actual fighting goes on in many different places, namely Helms Deep and Isengard, and on many different levels, namely between races, between individuals and between fractions of self. So first for the big reflections. I feel like many trilogies, ok mostly I'm thinking of Star Wars here, but still, follow a pattern. The set up, the bad guy looks strong but doesn't win, the good guy wins the war. So this part was the bad guy part. Evil is on the rise. Evil comes against all our heros in one way and another, and at the very end good manages to squeak out a win. This is especially true in the battle at Helms Deep. Seriously, talk about a last minute entry with the riders of Rohan.

I sensed a bit of social commentary when they were ripping apart Isengard. You know the whole, tear down the forest to make way for a new age of industry. Sound like any civilizations we know? Cough, the western world, cough. Sorry imaginary readers I had some phlegm... in my fingers. And seeing as how in the end of the movie nature kicks industries butt maybe we ought to learn a lesson.

Now on to witty character commentary. We, meaning I but trying to be inclusive to all the people who don't read this blog, talked about Legolas's role last entry. You know, stay clean, look sexy, state the obvious while sounding wise. I figured out how he does this. When he is looking out into the distance using his "elf eyes" to see crap, his eyes get all big. But then when he is stating the obvious his eyes get all scrunched like what he is saying is took a great deal of mental capacity to come up with. Then he looks back and forth, like he's searching for the words. When he finally comes up with some he speaks at a slow pace and tilts his head to the side. All this results in him looking wise and sexy even when he says completely asinine things like "a red sun rises, blood has been spilt this night." Other roles of Legolas include to encourage others, but in a condescending way, and to mock Gimli. Gimli's role then would be that of comic relief, and an awesome accent. Aragorn, which completes that little trilogy of people, is the leader, tracker, hunter, ladies man, and general bad ass, pardon the french, of the group.
In this movie we start to see emo Frodo emerge. This is linked with the coming of Gollum. He starts to doubt Sam, bad life decision, and love the ring, worse life decision. His only bit of redemption comes when he realizes that without Sam he would be dead. I know carrying the ring is a horrible task, but I wish he would realize this more often.
Now to my favorite person in the trilogy, Samwise Gamgee. He is the purest kindest best kind of person, or hobbit I suppose. If more people were like him, then the world would be a better place. The speech he gives at the end of the movie, about the world and the stories, it's beautiful. Frodo doesn't deserve him.
Other notes: Bad guys usually have bad hair and bad teeth. That's what I like to call Karma. The scene where Gandolf, and the three non-hobbits emerge from the forest and Shaddowfax comes galloping towards him. For a moment I was like wait, wait, is that a unicorn? I think it is, I think that Gandolf gets to ride a uni... oh wait, no, thats just a really white horse. Sure he's king of the horses, but thats not as cool as riding a unicorn. It was a sad moment. Why don't the ring wraiths ride those dragon things all the time? Makes more sense to me.
Well world of the blogosphere who are all completely ignorant of my existence. I am glad you are out there to not listen to me be a complete and total freak-a-leek about Lord of the Rings. I'm glad you are there to unwittingly put up with me. Until next time, and look out for red rising suns.

No comments:

Post a Comment