About Me

My photo
This is me, my head and my life. Deal with it.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Valentine's Day Sux!

To answer your unasked questions...
1) Yes I did just spell sucks with an x. I thought about doing some sort of clever thing where I did suxoxo, but that is just confusing and not that clever so I didn't.
2) No this is not going to be a post about the horrible movie with a star studded cast including Anne Hathaway, Ashton Kutcher, Jessicas Alba and Beil and Mcdreamy. It is a horrible movie, I just don't feel it deserves it's own blog post.
3)No, this is not going to be another one of those blog posts where a single white girl (me) rants about how horrible it is to be single on Valentines Day and it should be called singles awareness day and all that.
Yeah, I bet you're shocked this isn't some horrible diatribe, but it's true. I actually kind of like the idea Valentines Day. It's cool that people in relationships have a day where they can be super lovey dovey and profess all their undying and mushy love to one another and not feel stupid. I mean of course it's been way over commercialized, but what isn't these days. And if Valentines Day is the only day a year that your significant other is actually nice and shows you love you might want to rethink the life decision that got you to this point. But on a whole, I don't mind the whole thing. So if you have someone in your life go nuts, buy them stuffed animals and flowers and chocolate and go out to dinner and blatantly display your affection publicly. The world is your heart shaped oyster.
The thing I hate about Valentines day is that it gives single people, specifically single females an excuse to wallow in self pity. Ok so this is a blog about the whole "singles awareness day" thing, but not in the way you think. Seriously I hate it when people are all mopey around Valentines day, because their friends have lovers and they do not an why is life so unfair etc. Really? Can you not be so selfish for one minute? Be happy for your friends, and look forward to when you can be so happy. Also the name, single awareness day, is just awful. The only people who are aware of being single is the person actually single, and all the people he/she complains to. And the only person who cares about the singleness is the single person. It's not like all the people who have sweethearts point at laugh at the single folks. Nope. So get over yourself.
This valentines day this single chick is going to go to school and work, eat dinner watch a movie and then congratulate myself on remaining single in Utah for so long and not following my fellow graduating classmates in early marriage, parenthood, financial hardship and potential misery.

3 comments:

  1. You are a genius, yes, you are! And I congratulate you on staying away from early marriage, parenthood, financial hardship, and potential misery. Hats off~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, It's been a struggle. Ok not really, but I feel better about me if I say it is.

    ReplyDelete