About Me

My photo
This is me, my head and my life. Deal with it.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hairs cut

So today I walked into a salon thinking "hey, I'm over do for a hair cut, I'll just get a trim, some layers put in, you know something to spice up the whole straight flat hanging like blah down to my shoulders thing." I walked out of the salon with a chin length choppy bob. Yeah. That's what happens when I walk into a salon. I never really know what I'm doing, I let the hair stylist do whatever they want, and usually leave with a lot less hair then I came in with. And I love it. So many people, especially girls, and mormons are SO concerned with hair. I know girls that would probably rather loose limbs than cut their hair short. I don't get that. It's just hair, it's dead, feels no pain, and will grow back. Try something new, you might like it. But no. Long, straight, sometimes with some sort of side swept bang is all I see for miles and miles. And all my friends say it's because guys like longer hair. Is that really true? Does a guy really see a girl with short hair and think gross, can't go near THAT thing? If so I may have a problem. I just think that hair is one of the only things on your body that you can really go nuts with and not suffer long lasting consequences. I feel this about both guys and girls hair. I have no problem with guys having longer hair. But a lot of people, namely mormons, namely those mormons from Utah County seem to have a thing about boys with long hair. Exhibit A my brother, he used to have hair that was shoulder length, curly and beautiful, before he cut it for job purposes. But every week prior to the great shedding of the locks someone at church would make some comment about how he would look so handsome if he would just cut his hair, or how respectful it was to the lord to have short missionary style hair. Really? I mean really? One, Jesus had long hair. And two, if God is really going to be nit picky about stuff like hair length, well, I'm going to hell. Personally I think God loves all his children and likes them to show their personalities and individuality instead of being mindless drones in black suits and power ties. But I digress, and come near a soap box that is better saved for a later blog. Moral of this rambley story? It's just hair, so go nuts, cut it off, grow it out or die it green. It might surprise you how much you like it.

6 comments:

  1. I am growing out my hair right now...the only thing I'm scared of is Elder Nelson is in my ward and if he tells me to cut it, then I have to. Hence, I avoid him at all costs.

    Also, I just noticed you liked Better Off Ted. Amazingly underrated show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a guy in my ward who looks like Jesus. Wears sandals all year round too.

    I have noticed that alot of Utah mormons like what I call the 'Utah helmet'. Typically blonde with maybe some brown undertones, it is usually a bob cut shaped a bit like a football helmet and styled to be very large. Personally I like having a long barbaric shag. Hairstyles are for those blasted Romans and their 'civility'. Pah. I've seen their gladiator games! They're the barbarians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magen, I believe you are talking about what I call the Utah county bump. Where you have an aline and then you rat it until you could fit a small baby up in thur. Seriously I think they got the idea for the Bump It after visiting my high school.
    Nick, my dad turned in onto the show. It's fantastic. And a very good example of a show that should have gone on for years and didn't because people are stupid. Also, I wish you the best of luck in your avoidance of church leaders. I hope that works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your dad is much hipper than mine if he turns you onto shows like that.

    I did have a question now that my mane is growing - how do you avoid clogging your shower drain? I have to individually pick up each hair after I wash my hair (which, if you're curious, is similar to this commercial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsfNXj9s-iY (Buster!)).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, my dad is way cool. Like cooler than me cool, which says great things about him and not great things about me. But hey I believe in full frontal nerdity, so why try lie about my cool levels.

    About the drain issue it kind of depends what kind of drain/shower you have. If you have like a shower tub combo meal you can get strainer net like thing to put in the drain that will catch the hair for you. If you have a shower with a big drain they also sell things that you can put over it like an upside down suction plastic dome thing. Brushing hair before showering also gets some hair out. I really hope that you sound like that when you are washing your hair. If you do I need you shampoo brand, because I too would like my shower time to be as orgasmic as possible. I also hope that a thicker haired Buster listens to you shower. That would just be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the reason you only see long, straight hair with the side swept bangs is because you're in Utah where everyone seems to make-up, dress, hair the same. It's like Korea, but the hairs aren't black, they're brown or blonde. Anyway! I'm proud of you for being so hot and chopping off your hair.

    ReplyDelete