About Me

My photo
This is me, my head and my life. Deal with it.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Tattoos

So today I got a text from someone. It was a picture with the words "NEW INK!" Yes ladies and gentlemen this someone, who is not ready to go public yet, is all growed up and getting ink done. Weird. Not the actual tattoo, but the fact that he's no longer the buck-toothed bowl cutted kid that I always imagine him as. The tattoo itself is actually pretty sweet. It's the Green Lantern symbol for hope. I mean besides the fact that it looks cool Hope is also my middle name so I get to pretend he got it because he loves me so much and wants to think about me all the time. Seeing this new, and still incredibly painful looking, tattoo has caused me to reflect on my own opinion of tattoos. I've come to the conclusion that much like graffiti they are cool and can be really beautiful but probably not something I would ever actually try out for myself. The reasons behind it have less to do with the religiously frowned upon-ness of it and everything to do with sheer logic. First off, I am super indecisive and would have a really hard time actually deciding what I would want. I mean this thing is going to be on you forever. No way could I make that choice. Even if I did make it, I would probably change my mind. I think the biggest problem I have with them is that they are so permanent. I mean sure a tramp stamp is going to look super awesome and cute and classy now, but in 15-20 years when my metabolism grinds to a halt and I put on about 300 pounds that tramp stamp is just going to look gross. I mean really gross. Not like, wow that chick has ink right above her butt crack what a lovely area of the body to draw my attention to gross, but like what is that thing on that morbidly obese woman's back flesh, and is it supposed to be there and why do the morbidly obese always have muffin tops? gross. But I think they are cool. I think if I were to get one it would be on that little piece of skin right behind your ear before your hairline. I think I would get a woodpecker. But I don't think I'll tell you why. So there, ha!

4 comments:

  1. I quite enjoy tattoos but I'm with you - I would have a tough time deciding what to put on. I've heard you're supposed to hang the design you want up on your wall for 2 years and if you still like it then, then go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a reasonable thing to do. The only problem is that I am as forgetful as I am indecisive. So I would hang it and then forget about it until I cleaned, which only happens once in a blue moon, and then be like "what is this?" Then I would have to start the whole process over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've decided that if I were ever to get a tattoo, it would be the dark mark on my left arm in white ink. Yes, white ink fades with time, but it fits right in with the whole story. Voldemort is gone, right? What happens to Dark Marks when their maker is gone? Eh? See where I'm going with this?

    Needless to say then, I would probably be horrified to wake up one day and notice that my Dark Mark was very Dark and very much a permanent Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would also probably be horrified if one day the Dark Lord returns and you are forced to answer his call because you so foolishly tattooed it on your skin. I have to say that I think that the Dark Mark remains. I mean I see where you're going but I think it's like the swastikas that Brad Pitt cut into the heads of the Nazi's in "Inglorious Bastards." It makes it so no one can ever live down their past deeds and must forever be marked as a follower of the Dark Lord. And in that way he lives even beyond the grave.

    ReplyDelete