About Me

My photo
This is me, my head and my life. Deal with it.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Social Demise

Today is Saturday. Thus far I have slept in, showered, gone to a dollar movie, seen ten minutes of said dollar movie, left the dollar movie with a voucher because the theater broke, studied for the GRE, cleaned my bathroom, gone to Target to get a hand towel. Yeah. That is my day, and I expect the rest of my night to go like this, study for the GRE and watch "Clueless." I don't feel like this is what I should be doing on a Saturday night, but its what I'm going to do. I think I have figured out what my social problem is and to validate my thoughts I'm going to break it down, and maybe come up with a solution. But probably not.
  1. My first problem is I lack motivation. Sure I could call a friend and we could do something. But then I would have to know who I wanted to play with and what I wanted to do. I hate planning. Multiple years in the young woman's presidency and one year as IWA president at UCLA have basically ruined me. I never want to plan anything ever again. I am done feeling responsible for making sure everyone is having a good time. And if I call people and want to do something I feel like I have to make sure everyone has fun. It's just not worth it. Basically the only way to solve this is for me to get motivated; I don't think that is going to happen this late in life. Hopefully I used that semicolon right; I'm trying to practice semicolon use for the GRE.
  2. A majority of my friends live at home in Sandy, or California, or Mapleton, and as such always want to do stuff in Sandy, or Murray or wherever. I'm not saying I'm unwilling to drive down there, but I always go to them, always. They never come up here,and gas is expensive,and I am not made of money. I mean sure I could drive 20 minutes to see a movie in Murray or I could see a movie closer to home and save money. Basically I need to move or find closer friends. Both could help me in the future, but neither of those help me tonight.
  3. A lot of my friends have a significant others; it sucks. Because when someone gets an opposite-sex-friend they are no longer interested in spending time with their single friends. Or if they do invite you someplace its with the bf/gf. I get that you're in love but could you separate yourself for one night and just hang out with me? No? Ok well could you get me a boyfriend or something? No? Ok, well then this seems like an impossible problem then.
So as you can see because I am single, living in not Sandy and unwilling to plan something that makes everyone happy I am destined to be alone, with my roommates stack of movies tonight. Maybe one day I'll be social again, until then I have Paul Rudd movies to watch.

4 comments:

  1. I could copy and paste this post on to my blog and it would fit me perfectly.

    I must say places in Utah seem much further than in LA - probably because you're actually driving here and not sitting in traffic, which makes it feel like it's not as far (if that works). I have this issue too - it's just such a commitment to drive anywhere here.

    Regarding #3, I hate what love has done to my previously single friends. One of my good friends and me used to make fun of people's sappy Facebook statuses, but just recently his fiance posted "I love my fiance" as her status, to which he posted "Ditto her status!" as his own. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way because quite frankly sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy.

    I like how you put it. It IS such a commitment to drive anywhere here. I feel like in LA you're always two minute away, or half an hour in traffic, from a plan B. In Utah it's plan A or Denny's. And if you're not guaranteed fun why bother?

    That is one of the grossest things ever. I mean if you're going to be disgusting in a public forum at least be original about it. Basically once they start posting kissing pictures on Facebook I give up and start looking for a replacement friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha i think just ONE year would ruin anyone as UCLA IWA president. EX: Mandy AND Kristina. Love you. follow my blog, biznatch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also, what, boyfriends? shmoyfriends. You were my first love. I will come find you when I get back from california.

    ReplyDelete